Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review #3 - The Mirador, Sarah Monette




General Comments:  I don't really have any specific criticisms of this book.  Once again it's a solid read, but still missing that 'wow' factor.  At the end of The Virtu everything had been resolved, so I was very interested to see where The Mirador would take the story.  If you're looking for a synopsis one can be found here.

Characterization: One of the first things to note is the introduction of a new voice.  Felix and Mildmay are still there, but in addition to them we have the perspective of Mehitabel, a character introduced in The Virtu.  At first I was not taken with the introduction of a new character, but she grew on me.

I would also like to make a note about Felix.  I've read some other reviews and they all seem particularly harsh regarding him.  Granted, Felix is not an especially likeable character.  He has many, many flaws, but I think that's what I appreciate the most.  Felix is a broken character who shows substantial realistic growth over the course of the books, his growth includes some backslides into his more negative aspects.  I respect a writer who can give such an abrasive character so much depth.  It's difficult not to appreciate him, even if I don't really like him.

Plot:  The plot is decent, if a bit predictable.  The thing I like the most about the plot was that the events were predictable, but the characters weren't.  Not everything works out perfectly and this is often due to one or another of the characters missing something or just behaving badly.  I really like that there was an element of human error to the story, as all too often everyone involved is just a little too good at what they do.

Writing:  The writing is good, but that is to be expected.  I'm still impressed that with the addition of yet another character each of the voices still retain their own unique style.

Setting:  This one is set almost exclusively in the Mirador (not surprising considering the title).  The setting is interesting and adequately serves the purposes of the story.

Overall Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment